Re: [uom-ontology-std] retitled: magnitude of a quantity

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Dave McComb <mccomb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:42:22 -0400
Well stated.  I think it's key to layer these ontologies.  If I could restate
and add one, starting from the lowest working up, I think we need:    (01)

1) Values with Units (this is the very basic ontology that just allows us to
say "3 meters")
2) The measurement event (this just adds the temporal dimension, and recognizes
that there is an event for the measurement)
3) The measurement method
4) The thing being measured    (02)

Each can be underspecified at the lower level (i.e. I could have a measurement
event at level 2 and say it's measuring "blood pressure" (a literal) without
having a complete ontology about what blood pressure is (at level 4)    (03)

And as I think you were suggesting to make progress let's focus on level 1    (04)