Re: [uom-ontology-std] UoM ontology standard - a proposed program of wor

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "'uom-ontology-std'" <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Partridge <partridgec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:15:58 +0100
Hi Ed,    (01)

> The relation is "organ is-part-of organ"; the member is a
> sentence/proposition:  "my-hand is-part-of my-arm".  We need to be able
> to tell that 'organ' is a term for a classifier, whereas 'my hand' is a
> term for an individual.  We need to tell that the first is a vocabulary
> entry and the second is a proposition.  And we need to tell that
> 'is-part-of' in the second is a reference to the vocabulary entry that
> is the first.  The formal language of the ontology must make such
> distinctions and make them clear.  OTOH, it is not clear to me that a
> non-normative graphical language needs to be able to represent
> propositions of the "my-hand is-part-of my-arm" kind at all.  It
> depends
> on whether we need such diagrams as an aid to comprehending the
> ontology.    (02)

My experience (admittedly mostly not in drawing up standards) is that we do
need this. And that there is an endemic confusion in IT between the
individual / type distinction and the specification (schema) / operation
(data) distinction. I have a few pages on this in my book (p. 260-2) where I
provide examples of individuals that are needed in specifications and types
that are introduced during operation. I think Matthew might have some
examples from standards that help to reinforce this point.    (03)

> At the risk of opening Pandora's box even wider, I will point out that
> "class whose members are classes" shows that the role "member" isn't
> necessarily played by an "individual".  (Or one can say that some
> classes are individuals, or whatever your modeling language allows.)
> In
> particular, a concept that will appear in the units of measure model is
> "quantity kind", with the property that each member of 'quantity kind'
> is a subtype of 'quantity' (but not vice versa).  Examples: "length",
> "duration", "mass".    (04)

Agreed. And the issue here is whether the higher order types are needed
(however one might represent them). My experience, as I think I have said
before on these lists, is that a substantial proportion of reference data
schemas in application systems tends to fall into this category.     (05)

At the risk of opening the Pandora's box even wider, it seems to me that you
are asking for some kind of limited base ontology.    (06)

Lowe has a definition of ontology that I like, and think may be useful here.
It is ""the set of things whose existence is
acknowledged by a particular theory or system of thought." One can regard
the diagram as a system of thought - or at least a proxy for it.    (07)

So when we draw these diagrams in these notations, when we ask what things
are we trying to represent, we are asking what the ontology (in Lowe's
sense) is.
So, for example, when we have an is-a relation between classes are we
representing a relation between classes or a set of (identity) relations
between their instances.    (08)

> > This property is also shared by some of the other relations you
> mentioned -
> > union, intersection, etc.
> > - though again these can be cashed out in terms of their instances.
>
> Umm, I suppose.  My point was that you don't want to confuse the
> notation for "An X can have a friend who is a Y" with the notation for
> "No X is a Y".    (09)

I share your reluctance, and I think that one can extend this to a general
reluctance to interpret what on the face of it look like relations between
classes to relations between their instances. And this gives us the
beginnings of an 'ontology' for the lines on our diagrams.     (010)

Regards,
Chris Partridge
Chief Ontologist    (011)

Mobile:     +44 790 5167263
Phone:      +44 20 81331891
Fax:            +44 20 7855 0268
E-Mail:       partridgec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     (012)

BORO Centre Limited
Website:                                     www.BOROCentre.com
Registered in England No:   04418581
Registered Office:                  25 Hart Street, Henley on Thames,
Oxfordshire RG9 2AR    (013)

This email message is intended for the named recipient(s) only. It may be
privileged and/or confidential. If you are not an intended named recipient
of this email then you should not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor
disclose its contents to any other person. You should contact BORO Centre
Limited as shown above so that we can take appropriate action at no cost to
yourself. All BORO Centre Limited outgoing E-mails are checked using Anti
Virus software.    (014)