Re: [uom-ontology-std] UoM ontology standard - a proposed program of wor

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:25:26 -0400
Ed Barkmeyer wrote:    (01)

>  I want to
> suggest a concrete plan of action that follows from the Web conference.    (02)

One thing I left off the activity list:    (03)

(5) Standards body selection
     We need to choose a venue for standardization:  OASIS, W3C, OMG, or
some other "standards development organization" (SDO) with a known path
to ISO and IEC.  Or it may suffice to find a National Body TAG to an
appropriate ISO/IEC JTC1 subcommittee that is willing to offer our draft
standard as a base document for a proposed "New Project", but that
usually takes a bit longer than forwarding an adopted specification from
a SDO.
     Unless we like going to standards meetings, we can delay this
decision to nearer the end of the process, when we have a draft standard
to circulate in whichever venue we choose.    (04)

This means we have an added set of jobs:
  - standards body selection committee (5-7)
chaired by one of the WG chairs, who will have the duty of dealing with
the resulting administrative and political concerns.  (This is worse
than pro bono technical work, but it does result in a CV entry.)    (05)

-Ed    (06)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (07)

  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (08)