Re: [uom-ontology-std] UoM ontology standard - a proposed program of wor

To: edbark@xxxxxxxx, uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:16:39 +0100
Ed,    (01)

On the point of:    (02)

     We also need a non-normative graphical representation, to enable
rapid comprehension.  The ODM Profile for OWL (using UML tools) suggests
itself, but I usually use a more vanilla UML form for presentation of
basic concepts.    (03)

I have developed a UML based presentation based on ODM but with
adaptations to enhance business SME readability, though it is a bit out
of date against the current ODM. This can also be reported as non-UML
diagrams (UML tool but with all the UML stuff turned off so that the SME
doesn't see a language they know they don't know). And spreadsheets,
which are a bit labour-intensive to produce but are the native language
of many business domain folks.    (04)

I thought I should add this to the list of possibilities in case it is
helpful. We may be able to get suitable SME readability using the
official ODM profile with the UML indications turned off, also, which
would probably be preferable. My basic rule has been that as soon as a
business SME sees some geeky piece of punctuation in a diagram, then
they know it is in a format they don't know, so this reduces the quality
of any SME review input. In any case, my approach may come somewhere
close to your "vanilla" UML presentation which you probably use for
similar reasons. To complicate things, and simplify them for the
reviewer, my format also supports different coloured archetypes, which
would not translate into the underlying OWL format but make the diagrams
richer. This would allow you to graphically distinguish measurements,
quantities and units, for example.    (05)

Mike    (06)

--
Mike Bennett
Director