Re: [uom-ontology-std] UoM ontology standard - a proposed program of wor

To: "'uom-ontology-std'" <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 21:06:02 +0100
Dear Ed,    (01)

> The trick is not to be excessively geeky.  My late mentor, Dr. Selden
> Stewart, once observed that all modeling languages are BLAs -- boxes,
> lines and annotations.  As long as you stick with class boxes/balls,
> association/property lines/wires, and text labels (annotations), you
> don't violate the "anti-technical" prejudices of "business persons".    (02)

[MW] OK. If that is your objective then I will throw what was originally (as
far as I know) the CDIF (CASE Data Interchange Format) notation into the
ring. This consists of named boxes for classes/entity types and named arrows
for relationships/relations, where the direction of the arrow tells you
which direction to read the relationship name in (and nothing else). So you
could have:    (03)

 A --part of--> B, or
 A <--has part-- B    (04)

My experience is that this notation is not only very simple, but very easy
for anyone to read.    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (07)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (08)