sio-dev

Re: [sio-dev] Definition of the SIO project

To: "[sio-dev] discussion" <sio-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Cameron Ross <cross@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 10:13:30 -0400
John,

Thanks for summarizing the approach.  Note, however, that the link http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/dynonto.pdf appears broken.

JS> Do you have any articles that describe your "Common Logic IDE"?

Nothing at present, but I'm currently working on an article that describes the architectural design of the underlying platform supporting the IDE.  I'll briefly summarize below:

The Common Logic IDE is based on the Samian Platform being developed by Kojeware.  The objective of the Samian Platform is to provide tools and software infrastructure to support the construction of semantic systems based on Common Logic.  The platform architecture is designed to facilitate the interoperation of disparate components in a manner that, I believe, is similar to your FMF.   Samian components are implemented as OSGi bundles and deployed as services within an OSGi compliant container.  Samian services may communicate directly with other Samian services, through the whiteboard message router provided by the OSGi framework, or indirectly through the Samian Repository, an application specific knowledge-base implemented according to the CL abstract syntax.  I've been considering implementing the Samian communication protocol according to the FIPA specifications (http://www.fipa.org).  However,  I would also consider the FMF message format outlined in http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/paradigm.pdf if you could make the details of the format available.

Samian bundles may be constructed to integrate existing AI systems within the Samian environment.  For example, we are currently developing a Samian bundle to wrap the PowerLoom reasoning system (http://www.isi.edu/isd/LOOM/PowerLoom).  Although OSGi is Java-based, the framework lends itself well to integrating non-Java systems using the Java Native Interface (JNI).  As a demonstration of this we plan to wrap CLIPS (http://clipsrules.sourceforge.net) and Prover9 (http://www.cs.unm.edu/~mccune/prover9) within Samian bundles.

The Samian Ontology Development Environment (ODE) is the first application to be built using the Samian Platform.  The ODE is implemented as an Eclipse-base IDE because the Eclipse platform is also based on OSGi and Samian bundles may be deployed directly within the Eclipse runtime.  Our first release of the ODE, called Samian ODE Lite, is moving into beta this week and should be generally available by July 1st.  Samian ODE Lite includes a CLIF-aware text editor, a compliant CLIF syntax checker, and the ability to manage CLIF ontologies and knowledge-bases comprising multiple CLIF files.  The full Samian ODE product will include a first-order reasoning engine, a plug-in framework for integrating third-party reasoners, and a language translation toolkit.  We'll also be looking to early adopters to help identify other features of interest as part of our beta program.  Note that the Samian ODE will be integrated with the Samian Repository, an enterprise-grade RDBMS capable of storing large collections of CL ontology modules and knowledge-bases.  As the attached image demonstrates, the Samian ODE provides the typical suite of features you would expect from an Eclipse-based tool.

Finally, the Samian ODE comes with a collection of potentially useful ontologies called OntoLib.  OntoLib currently contains the COLORE theories and a CLIF translation of SUMO.  We are working on a CLIF translation of the CycL representation of OpenCyc which will be included in the OntoLib collection once completed.

Please let me know re: the FMF message protocol.

Thanks,
Cameron.