sio-dev

Re: [sio-dev] Definition of the SIO project

To: "[sio-dev] discussion" <sio-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 04:36:57 +0000
John & All

JFS> In my slides I put an extremely high priority on supporting legacy data -- which, unfortunately,includes RDF.

The evidence is that it's RDFa publishing that's of interest. In the near term the challenge is around getting a web master to publish RDFa tags in pages. Or in the case of governments how to coordinate a group of web masters to effectively publish RDFa tags in pages. The measure of effectiveness might be how the information published in this format could be extracted and synthesized from those pages at lower cost or increased transparency.

RM> I understand that HETs is operationalized through a second
> order polymorphic lambda calculus with type equality conversions
> based on the Girard-Reynolds isomorphism. Its deductive system,
> at least in part, relies strongly on intuitionism and the Curry-
> Howard-Lambek correspondence. That's sounds quite a bit different
> than FOL.

JFS> It's a huge superset, most of which is irrelevant.

That's a pretty big body of work to be irrelevant.

JFS> (And by the way, implementations that claim to use HOL really use HOL in the same way as Common Logic: they use a first-order model theory that permits quantification over functions and relations.)

And I also believe types. I think you'll agree the differences are bigger than quantification theory. And that it wouldn't be accurate to say Tarski and Heyting said the same thing. There's plenty of choice about how to skin your favorite cat in HOL implementations. I've seen a few reference to folks writing CL parsers in ANTLR and I'm interested in comparing these implementations to what's available for HOL.

JFS> By the way, did you try that URL for getting FCA lattices out of Roget's Thesaurus? Such automated tools are more likely to work than anything that requires programmers to write ontologies. See slide 73 or go to http://www.ketlab.org.uk/roget.html

Thanks, I just tested this briefly. The FCAStone software mentions an FCA data format. I was able to find reference to the conversion software, but can't find a reference to the format itself. Would you be able to provide a reference to the FCA data format?

--
Rick

blog: http://phaneron.rickmurphy.org/
web: http://www.methodeutic.com/