Re: [oor-forum] OOR Sustainability

To: Cameron Ross <cross@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adam Pease <adampease@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:25:04 -0700
Hi Cameron,    (01)

> I've used a similar model for some of the initiatives I've worked on
> and one of the challenges I've faced is that evangelizing is a huge
> effort.  This is not necessarily a bad thing, I love doing it, but how
> do you fund the champion to do the evangelizing... its not a
> deliverable that is often covered by most funding sources.  Perhaps
> you have some suggestions around funding the champion(s).
>      (02)

Most of my government projects encourage, if not explicitly pay for,
publication.  Presenting results at conferences has been one way of
getting the word out, and talking with people who wind up adopting SUMO
in their work.    (03)

>         - Open source.  Ontology, and particularly formal ontologies
>         in first
>         order logic, are still a bit speculative as far as the
>         marketplace is
>         concerned.  This was dramatically more so in the year 2000.
>          Giving away
>         SUMO has led to its adoption on many projects.  Academic
>         projects
>         certainly would not have paid for it, and it is that body of
>         experience
>         in validating SUMO that has led to commercial use.
>
>     (04)

I'm not a lawyer, and as you note there are many licenses, but I like
LGPL for software and GNU FreeDoc for ontology (recalling that I don't
have the power to change my all own stuff to this model at the moment).
Even with my slightly suboptimal current licensing, there have been few
obstacles.  A few companies have balked at the GPL, but my sense is that
they weren't going to contribute to the project or buy a license anyway.    (05)

I see most companies selling services or custom software.  That's what
has worked for me.  A few very large or well-funded niche providers may
sell shrink-wrapped software.  Many seem to take a model of keeping the
software proprietary mainly as a way of keeping their competitive
advantage and barriers to entry, while still mainly selling services.      (06)

Using LGPL would allow incorporation of open source code into commercial
software and seems to me to be the best option on balance.    (07)

Adam    (08)