[oor-forum] OOR Sustainability

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Cameron Ross <cross@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:43:55 -0400
In yesterday's ONTOLOG session on IPR, Alan Rector summarized his experiences with the GALEN and SNOMED projects.  During his presentation Alan brought up the issue of sustainability (i.e. the ability for a project to continue to survive once its initial seed funding has been depleted).  I'm not aware of any discussion related to OOR sustainability as yet.  I believe this is a problem as we are starting to talk seriously about licensing models for OOR and the licensing models we choose will have a definite impact on the business models that the OOR will be able to support.  Presumably, the long term sustainability of the OOR will be predicated on its licensing models.  I'd like to start a thread on this topic so that we can elicit input from the OOR group prior to our final session on IPR on September 30th.

What are the groups thoughts in this regard?

Cameron.

--
Kojeware Corporation