Re: [oor-forum] OOR Sustainability

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adam Pease <adampease@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 07:19:06 -0700
Hi Cameron,
  This is an important point.   While there are many models of
sustainability, there have been a number of factors in the
sustainability of SUMO (and Sigma) over the past 10 years.    (01)

- Have a champion.  No idea or project succeeds without one committed
person to drive it.  Funding comes and goes, but I view work with SUMO
as my most marketable asset, so I'm committed for the long term.
Pursuing all avenues - government and commercial funding, as well as
volunteer academic work on SUMO has kept it moving forward.    (02)

- Open source.  Ontology, and particularly formal ontologies in first
order logic, are still a bit speculative as far as the marketplace is
concerned.  This was dramatically more so in the year 2000.  Giving away
SUMO has led to its adoption on many projects.  Academic projects
certainly would not have paid for it, and it is that body of experience
in validating SUMO that has led to commercial use.    (03)

- Good technical solution.  Obviously, what's being produced has to
work, and be broadly applicable to get traction with a group of
committed users.    (04)

- Continued change and evolution.  The product has to respond to the
marketplace.  Good customer service in making changes and bug fixes is
important.  So is a bit of "push" in creatively adding new features and
components.    (05)

Adam    (06)