Re: [oor-forum] Where to begin a technical evaluation of the OOR

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:10:38 -0700
Hi Cameron,    (01)

> [CR]  1) Exactly which version of the BioPortal code base is being
> considered as the starting point for OOR?    (02)

[ppy]  the plan is to do do that at v2.5
Noting that we are still running v2.4 on the OOR-sandbox instance
ref. http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OOR_SandBox
... and are awaiting for the notification when the v2.5 codes are
ready for download, inclusive of the UI updates cited in Paul
Alexander's  http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/oor-dev/2010-07/msg00000.html
message.    (03)

> [CR]  2) Are there plans to fork the BioPortal code base for the OOR?    (04)

[ppy]  Yes (a decision from our original plan of "branching off the
BioPortal repository" to "forking and supporting continuing
development at the <oor.semwebcentral.org> code repository" was made
during our 19-Feb-2010 "Coordinating our Open Ontology Repository
Software Development" session (ref.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OOR/ConferenceCall_2010_02_19#nid29RO
)    (05)

> [CR]  If so, what is the justification for forking?    (06)

[ppy]  among others, BioPortal is a project (funded by NIH) with a
totally different mission ... (despite the fact that their technology
is domain neutral and their generosity just turns out to provide a
great take off point for the OOR team.)    (07)

Regards.  =ppy