Re: [ontology-summit] [ReusableContent] Partitioning the problem

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Simon Spero <sesuncedu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 12:44:48 -0500
On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 8:30 AM, David Price <dprice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 1 Feb 2014, at 23:59, Amanda Vizedom wrote:
In my experience, that just isn't true.

In our experience, that is 100 percent true :-)  The model+SPARQL is so complex that we have enough trouble debugging even using human-readable URIs. No way we'd meet our delivery deadlines if we made it harder - so we don't, and won't.

In this thread, there's lots of "the tool should do x" and "we can dereference" and "why don't you just add search of labels into your SPARQL", etc.

The concept of looking up a label or name instead of using implementation/machine specific values is not entirely without precedent in the enterprise database market.  This feature is central to many popular database query languages- for example, the Structured Query Language (SQL) used by most relational database systems.

These systems store metadata describing the structure and labels of the database, and allow the user to retrieve data using the names of 'tables' and 'columns', instead of having to use numeric identifiers.

A SPARQL query engine that is ontology aware should have this metadata close at hand. The computational cost of looking up the necessary metadata using a label is probably less than or equal to the cost of looking up the metadata using a fully qualified IRI.

I don't know what toolset you are using, but if it is not giving you usable support for debugging, you might want to consider using a different suite.

If you take a look at a modern IDE, such as  JetBrains IntelliJ, you can see how support for languages like SQL, embedded in programming languages like Java, Python, or C# can be handled intelligently, with appropriate syntax checking, refactoring, and smart completion.  If you have in house developer resources, you could implement support for additional languages as a plugin.

Simon