Re: [ontology-summit] [ReusableContent] Partitioning the problem

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 16:03:53 -0500
On 2/1/14 2:44 PM, David Price wrote:
>> Human readable URIs a broken because they are human language specific.
>Identifiers should never be constrained to a specific human language like
>English. You solve the problem via labels and language tags.
>> >
>> >As for your SPARQL example, that isn't the kind of example that reflects
>what would happen in an enterprise comprised of humans. In all cases, humans
>will start with a natural language pattern in their native language.
> Hi Kingsley,
>
> I'm not talking about NL at all.    (01)

Neither am I, specifically.    (02)

>   I'm talking about naming software artefacts and suggesting that  human
>readable is a requirement.    (03)

I too am referring to entity denotation where a software artifact is
just another entity. It is better to denote things with an opaque
identifier and the label using annotation oriented properties which
result in multilingual labels. RDF already handles this very well via
language tags.    (04)

>   I never said a word about English. Make them all French, I don't mind.    (05)

My point is that making them in any language eliminates non speakers of
said languages.    (06)

>   If you're building your app in China use the appropriate language for your
>IRIs.    (07)

Building my application in China doesn't mean all the developers,
designers, and eventual end-users are going to be Chinese language
speakers. That's the fundamental point here. There are no scenarios that
I know of where the point you are trying to make actually works, bar one
that's utterly scoped to a specific language e.g., English, Chinese,
French etc..    (08)

>   One of our current apps has ontologies that are a mix of English and
>Norwegian ... that's fine too. ANY human language is better than random noise
>that you suggest.    (09)

An opaque identifier isn't random noise [1][2][3][4][5].

> In every place you say never, I say always. Since you're free to ignore the
>fact that the URIs are human readable but I can't ingore your random noise, it
>seems to me that my view should prevail. The problem I raise cannot be solved
>with labels - that's now the 4th or 5th time I've had to say that ... but at
>least it's the last.    (010)

Links:    (011)

[1] http://bit.ly/1bD2eZs -- Identifier
[2] http://bit.ly/1ktFdy0 -- IRI