Re: [ontology-summit] [ReusableContent] Partitioning the problem

To: "'Ontology Summit 2014 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 08:52:33 -0000
Dear John,
Yes, when you wander into a new country, you have to learn a new language.
That is just how it goes.    (01)

With all the talk about 15926 I just had to look at it.    (02)

[MW>] Apart from dumping the OWL RDF this is not so hard to decode of you
know the lingo.    (03)

<rdf:Description>
  <rdfs:subPropertyOf
rdf:resource="#isClassOfApprovedIn-o-hasClassOfApprover"/>
<owl:propertyChain rdf:parseType="Collection"> <rdf:Description
rdf:about="&inverseRoles;#isClassOfApprovedIn"/>
<rdf:Description rdf:about="&part2;#hasClassOfApprover"/>
</owl:propertyChain>
</rdf:Description>    (04)

Can Everyman understand this?
[MW>] No, but it is straightforward for an ISO 15926 speaker.
Here we have a relation: class of approved in has class of approver.
The original name in EXPRESS was class_of_approval. I'm not quite sure why
that got changed in translation to OWL, but no matter. It is reasonably
clearly about approval, but why the class of?
Well if I approve the repair of a car, then that would be a straightforward
approval, but if I want to say that Process Plant Designs are approved by
Plant Owners, then I have moved up a level of abstraction. The ISO 15926 way
of signifying that is to say "class of approval" instead of "approval" to
distinguish the two.    (05)

After this it is not too hard to work out that ClassOfApprover is the type
that will make the approval, and the ClassOfApproved is the type of thing
that is approved.    (06)

Then it got really funny.    (07)

<owl:Class rdf:about="#RightNamespace">
      <owl:disjointWith rdf:resource="#LeftNamespace"/> </owl:Class>
[MW>] This is actually just what it says on the tin. It is about referring
to parts of a namespace. E.g. OWL:Class, where leftnamespace refers to the
OWL part of the identifier, and rightnamespace refers the class part.    (08)

I'm really not sure why that is funny.    (09)

Hard to know if this is a political statement or not. Then, still feeling
outsmarted in recent threads, I twisted my brain into a knot trying to
understand    (010)

<owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="#isClassOfSubclassIn"> and
<owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="hasClassOfSubclass">
[MW>] I would hope you could work this one out by now. So if subclass
related to one class being a subclass of another, then ClassOfSubclass says
that in instance of the first class, has an instance of the second class as
a subclass.    (011)

My objective is not to lampoon. It is to say this: discussion of 'reuse'
might productively distinguish between reusing class hierarchies, separately
from reusing property hierarchies, separately from reusing collections of
individuals (and separately from reusing axioms).    (012)

It seems unwise to treat ontologies as indivisible units when answering why
reuse is not happening in general or, more to the point of this years
communique, why ontologies are NOT being used (at all?) in Big Data
analytics. But if the dependencies are such that an ontology cannot be so
divided, then maybe just maybe that's one reason why reuse is not occcuring?
[MW>] The thing I will add here is that there is no chance of reuse by
accident. It is tough enough when you work really hard at it.
With ISO 15926 the objective was that it would be reusable and extensible
across different companies and projects, allowing data to be shared across
the supply chain (and both of these have happened). It was not an objective
that you could mix and match ISO 15926 with other ontologies, though this
has happened. ISO 15926 has been used with MIMOSA, and you have read that
Andrea has used bits of it with FIBO.    (013)

Regards    (014)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
https://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 8 Ennismore Close, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire,
SG6 2SU.    (015)

/jmc    (016)