Re: [ontology-summit] [ReusableContent] Reuse of Linked Data vis-a-vis R

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Andrea Westerinen <arwesterinen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 11:06:46 -0800
In an offline conversation with TSchneider, I was discussing a possible approach for addressing the modularization vs "inclusive" definition problem (that occurs because you have to import all the related ontologies).

In a recent project, I used the equivalentClass OWL semantic to address the issue.  So, for example, in a Person ontology, I defined the Person concept with its relevant properties, but when it came to the Person's Location - that was just an under-specified Location class (in the Person namespace).  I reused a Location ontology (with its own namespace) for a complete definition of that concept.  Lastly, I defined an "integrating" ontology that specified the mappings between the concepts.  So, Person:Location would be defined as an equivalentClass to Location:Location.

Obviously, the application covered up all this for the users and my triple store (with reasoner) handled the rest.

That left me with a lot of flexibility for reuse and ontology evolution, and didn't force imports except in my "integrating" ontology.  And, each application could have its own "integrating" ontology.

Andrea