Re: [ontology-summit] [ReusableContent] Partitioning the problem

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John McClure <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 23:47:19 -0800
With all the talk about 15926 I just had to look at it.    (01)

<rdf:Description>
  <rdfs:subPropertyOf
rdf:resource="#isClassOfApprovedIn-o-hasClassOfApprover"/>
<owl:propertyChain rdf:parseType="Collection">
<rdf:Description rdf:about="&inverseRoles;#isClassOfApprovedIn"/>
<rdf:Description rdf:about="&part2;#hasClassOfApprover"/>
</owl:propertyChain>
</rdf:Description>    (02)

Can Everyman understand this? Then it got really funny.    (03)

<owl:Class rdf:about="#RightNamespace">
      <owl:disjointWith rdf:resource="#LeftNamespace"/>
</owl:Class>    (04)

Hard to know if this is a political statement or not. Then, still
feeling outsmarted in recent threads, I twisted my brain into a knot
trying to understand    (05)

<owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="#isClassOfSubclassIn"> and
<owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="hasClassOfSubclass">    (06)

My objective is not to lampoon. It is to say this: discussion of 'reuse'
might productively distinguish between reusing class hierarchies,
separately from reusing property hierarchies, separately from reusing
collections of individuals (and separately from reusing axioms).    (07)

It seems unwise to treat ontologies as indivisible units when answering
why reuse is not happening in general or, more to the point of this
years communique, why ontologies are NOT being used (at all?) in Big
Data analytics. But if the dependencies are such that an ontology cannot
be so divided, then maybe just maybe that's one reason why reuse is not
occcuring?    (08)

/jmc    (09)