Re: [ontology-summit] HC-05 Ontology of Ontology Evaluation - Ontology U

To: Ontology Summit 2013 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 09:28:45 -0700 (PDT)

Amanda,

We have discussed about Ontology usage in the past in this forum.   However since we discussed it again today,  I like to open the floor for further discussion..

I have listed  a snippet from article written by Stanfords Natalya Noy ..  Why develop an Ontology.?
Those five things listed are the general basis for usage.  and the first indicates  "To share common understanding of the structure of information among people or software agents".   In an increasingly digitized world it is "one of the" practical reasons why we develop Ontology in modern days.   And I quote "one of the" and not one and only reason.  In generic sense, it is to organize information is a structured manner,  however  eventually it all gets digitized.
Thank you,
Pavithra

An ontology defines a common vocabulary for researchers who need to share information in a domain. It includes machine-interpretable definitions of basic concepts in the domain and relations among them.
Why would someone want to develop an ontology? Some of the reasons are:
         To share common understanding of the structure of information among people or software agents
         To enable reuse of domain knowledge
         To make domain assumptions explicit
         To separate domain knowledge from the operational knowledge
         To analyze domain knowledge
Sharing common understanding of the structure of information among people or software agents  is one of the more common goals in developing ontologies (Musen 1992; Gruber 1993). For example, suppose several different Web sites contain medical information or provide medical e-commerce services. If these Web sites share and publish the same underlying ontology of the terms they all use, then computer agents can extract and aggregate information from these different sites. The agents can use this aggregated information to answer user queries or as input data to other applications.