[ontology-summit] QUDT (was Re: Hackathon: BACnet Ontology)

To: Ontology Summit 2013 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ralph TQ [Gmail]" <rhodgson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 13:39:19 -0700
Just to give people an update on QUDT v1.2:

We are now in the home run of releasing models. QA on QUDT is well underway.  To give some impression of the activity, here is a screenshot of a QA session on the generation of the NASA QUDT Handbook (over 3500 pages). It is generating PDF via LaTeX from the OWL models.  For those that may be interested this is done using SWP (SPARQL Web Pages) - http://uispin.org. This associates LaTeX code with OWL resources. The batch file is making command-line calls into the ontology server.

To give you an impression of the number of ontologies in release v1.2, here is another screenshot of some models in TopBraid Composer:

And:

The partitioning is being done on a domain basis. Most if not all of the published ISO-8000 work has been codified in OWL.

In addition the NIST SI Guidance rules are also encoded in OWL.

An example of a quantity is shown in turtle syntax below. Note the use of the provenance ontology:

quantity:MolarConductivity
      a       qudt:ChemistryQuantityKind ;
      rdfs:label "Molar Conductivity"^^xsd:string ;
      qudt:applicableUnit unit:S-M2-PER-MOL ;
      qudt:description "\\textit{Molar Conductivity} is the conductivity of an electrolyte solution divided by the molar concentration of the electrolyte,
             and so measures the efficiency with which a given electrolyte conducts electricity in solution."^^xsd:string ;
      qudt:latexDefinition
              "$\\Gamma_m = \\frac{x}{c_B}$, where $x$ is the electrolytic conductivity and $c_B$ is the amount-of-substance concentration."^^xsd:string ;
      qudt:symbol "\\Gamma_m"^^xsd:string ;
      skos:broader quantity:Conductivity ;
      skos:prefLabel "Molar Conductivity"^^xsd:string ;
      prov:wasInfluencedBy

We will be publishing schemas and some of the vocabularies in the next weeks.

I hope you can appreciate the grand scale of this work and we thank you for your patience.

Expect more regular communications from us as we complete the beta release.

Regards,

Regards,

Ralph Hodgson, @ralphtq

Mobile Phone: +1 781-789-1664