Re: [ontology-summit] Offline note. Re: First Model Bench Challenge

To: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 20:06:41 +0200
Sure John, I had forgotten do put some links as footnotes.
Please find them again here:

[1] http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/11574620_21 (the 2005 paper on ontology design patterns)
[2] http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/sites/default/files/swj65.pdf (the 2010 vision paper on knowledge pattern science)

Ciao
Aldo

On 22 May 2012, at 14:20, John F Sowa wrote:

Dear Ramayya,

I added another slide to discuss the connection between lattice
theory and Ranganathan's faceted classification.  (Copy below)

At the end of that slide, I included a pointer to the web page
you suggested for faceted classification.  I also included a
pointer to the home page for Formal Concept Analysis (FCA).

Following is a related paper that discusses the use of FCA tools
for automatically deriving a lattice from the facets:

   http://www.upriss.org.uk/papers/dl99.pdf
   Description Logic and Faceted Knowledge Representation

If you go to the FCA home page, you can click on demos that derive
the sublattice that surrounds any word in Roget's Thesaurus or
in WordNet.  For example, you can type a word such as 'happiness'
to see how it is classified in Roget's Thesaurus and in WordNet.

If you have any further questions about the relationship off FCA
methods to faceted classification, you could contact Uta Priss.
(See the cc list above.)

John

                      Lattice-Based Methods

Many classification schemes are organized as trees, which limit
inheritance to just one parent for any node beneath the top.

To support multiple inheritance, S. R. Ranganathan developed a system of
faceted classification for library catalogs:
● Each facet represents a monadic relation.
● Each category is defined by a conjunction of facets.

Formal Concept Analysis (FCA) generates a minimal lattice for any
concepts or categories defined by such a conjunction:
● Input to the FCA tools Is a list of concepts and definitions.
● Those definitions could be the list of facets for each concept.
● The output is a minimal lattice that shows all inheritance paths.
● FCA tools are often used to check OWL ontologies for consistency.

For FCA tools and techniques, see http://www.upriss.org.uk/fca/fca.html
For faceted classification, see http://www.iskouk.org/kokonov2007.htm