Re: [ontology-summit] Clarification re Big Data Challenges Synthesis

To: "Ontology Summit 2012 discussion" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 10:27:33 -0400
On Mon, April 2, 2012 18:09, John F Sowa wrote:
> Ali,    (01)

> That point (copied below) is extremely misleading.  Computational
> complexity is *always* a property of a problem.  The same statement
> in full FOL could be undecidable for one kind of problem (e.g.,
> trying to prove it as a theorem), but it could be efficiently
> evaluated (polynomial time) for another problem (e.g., asking
> whether it is true in terms of a specific DB).    (02)

> This is a simple fact about logic, which many people in the SW
> understand very well, but they keep parroting the party line that
> you have to reduce the expressive power of the language.  That
> statement is *extremely* misleading.    (03)

> Recommendation:  Delete the following passage.    (04)

I think the issue should be addressed.  Instead of simply deleting
the passage, it should be replaced.    (05)

3. Ontologies can be built to have both expressivity and scale.    (06)

* Although an ontology may be highly expressive, uses of that ontology
  need not calculate every statement that could be derived from the
  rules in the ontology and the data in the local knowledge base.    (07)

* Just because you CAN calculate something doesn’t mean you SHOULD
   calculate it. Stick to information that is strictly useful to building
your
   big data application.    (08)

* Computationally expensive rules need not forward chain.    (09)

* Backward chaining complex rules need not be computed in a knowledge
   repository.  Such calculations can be performed locally to answer
   questions and the results can be stored back into the repository.    (010)

* There can be a lot of value just getting the data federated and
   semantically aligned.    (38GD)    (011)

> I suggest the following article for a more appropriate view:
>
>     http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/fflogic.com    (012)

I think you meant: http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/fflogic.pdf    (013)

-- doug foxvog    (014)