Re: [ontology-summit] Quotes for Ontology Summit 2012

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bradley Shoebottom <bradley.shoebottom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 12:36:08 +0000

1.       Why are ontologies important to the success of your project?

They bring order to what would be otherwise an incomplete PDF search query through technical publications.

2.       Can you share any specific success metrics from the application of ontologies?

An implemented ontology in a search interface improved new Tier 1 tech support agents (less than 1 year on the job) searches for information by 78%, 3 out of 4 times. It also was a performance support tool for “slow” searchers. Ontologies were not as useful for employees with more than 1 year on the job because they have learned how the information is structured, its key terms etc. Tier 2 tech support agents had improved search times whether new or older, in part because they did less searching for info. Their knowledge often mapped closely to the ontology terms so they were able to use it more easily. Their benchmark PDF search time was also quite high since they did not search PDF tech pubs as much as the Tier 1s.

3.       How does your project fit into the Big Data picture (if at all)?

We deal in the millions of pages of unstructured XML to search through for product technical documentation. We need to be able to connect from software engineering design feature IDs and descriptions to topics that discuss the concepts, tasks and reference materials related to each design ID.

4.       What are some of the exciting initiatives within your project that you've seen - who should we watch / why?

SmartLogic, Semaphore product http://www.smartlogic.com/: a simple ontology model (zThes) but good enough for large organizations and has workflow to get new instances/classes into the ontology.

Ontotext: KIM search interface. http://www.ontotext.com/kim Offers various search types including facets, patterns and structured search

5.       What is the killer app using your project that you're hoping to see emerge over the next few years?

Semi-autonomous ontology and term list builder. Ontology builder has to be able to suggest object properties and data properties.

6.       Why are ontologies essential for modeling systems?

Because often staff are only experts in their part of the system and a system ontology helps show the linkages to other parts of the system.

7. Why are ontologies essential for integration / federation of systems?

They are faster to create that SQL tables and more flexible. You can reuse the ontology as needed.

8. How do ontologies help address Interdisciplinary Collaboration?

You can include definitions, restrictions etc. so that others can explore the model and discover what is there. They can also link technical writers to the software engineers better because the tech writers do not have to rad lengthy design specs or ask as many questions because the model contains how the feature relationships occur.

9. Has anyone quantified and is willing to share any of the costs associated with the lack of ontologies in {modeling, integration, federation, collaboration}?

Bradley Shoebottom Description: Description: http://www.innovatia.net/images/esig/li.gif
Information Architect - R&D, Innovatia Inc.
Tel: (506) 674-5439  |  Skype: bradleyshoebottom  | Toll-Free: 1-800-363-3358 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting
bradley.shoebottom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx | www.innovatia.net | Description: Description: http://www.innovatia.net/images/esig/twitter.gifFollow us on Twitter