[ontology-summit] Quotes for Ontology Summit 2012

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali SH <asaegyn+out@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 17:17:07 -0400
Dear All,

I'm writing to this group to solicit some human quotes for the 2012 Ontology Summit. I've written a number of you individually (especially those that presented applications), but wanted to open the floor to all 2012 Ontology participants.

I am writing a number of little stories / narratives to try to get more publicity for the summit, any good story needs quotes from people....

While I'm focusing on highlighting a number of the projects that were presented at the summit, anyone who feels like they have a good insight to the questions below should feel free to chime in. One or two lines at most per question would be of tremendous help. It would be especially helpful if the style of your response is as though we were talking to one another (conversational, not academic).

1. Why are ontologies important to the success of your project?

2. Can you share any specific success metrics from the application of ontologies?

3. How does your project fit into the Big Data picture (if at all)?

4. What are some of the exciting initiatives within your project that you've seen - who should we watch / why?

5. What is the killer app using your project that you're hoping to see emerge over the next few years?

6. Why are ontologies essential for modeling systems?

7. Why are ontologies essential for integration / federation of systems?

8. How do ontologies help address Interdisciplinary Collaboration?

9. Has anyone quantified and is willing to share any of the costs associated with the lack of ontologies in {modeling, integration, federation, collaboration}?

I would appreciate a response at your earliest convenience and again, please keep in mind that the more conversational your answer, the more usable it will be!

Thank you kindly,
Ali