Re: [ontology-summit] Clarification re Big Data Challenges Synthesis

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 15:02:48 +0000
John,    (01)

Over time, an ontology consists of constructs addressing multiple problems. Use
cases/requirements for developing an ontology are very important, to be
goal-directed and focused. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it is often not
possible to develop an ontology that just addresses one problem.     (02)

In addition, the expressiveness of the language that the ontology is modeled
(represented) in is important (my (1)), and it is driven by the ontology
requirements. If you need FOL or HOL expressiveness because of your domain
requirements, and then you model in a less expressive language, you are
corrupting your requirements.     (03)

An ontology in a very expressive language can be transformed into a range of
much simpler runtime representations, depending on the problem(s) to be
addressed. I may have a FOL ontology, but then I simply extract the subclass
hierarchy because I just need a taxonomy for document binning, etc.    (04)

Even for a complex runtime application, a knowledge compilation process might
transform (1) into a number of expressively different (3) components that
interact, e.g., Horn rules interacting with partially extensionalized
"table-lookup" inference, lemma caching, implicates/implicants, delayed
evaluation, etc. A sub-part of knowledge compilation is knowledge partitioning,
partitioning the ontology+KB into sub-graphs, which may individually have
different expressiveness needs.     (05)

Thanks,
Leo    (06)