Re: [ontology-summit] Clarification re Big Data Challenges Synthesis

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Personick <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 02:14:55 -0500
I cannot properly interpret "Higher expressivity often involves more than one piece of information from the abox – meaning you have to cross server boundariesWith lower expressivity you can replicate the ontology everywhere on the cluster and answer questions LOCALLY."

1. (P rdf:type owl:TransitiveProperty) [tbox]
+
2. (?a P ?b) [abox]
+
3. (?b P ?c) [abox]
->
4. (?a P ?c)

A match on [1]+[2]+[3] entails [4], but this is impossible to answer locally.  [1] is part of the ontology, which could be replicated to all nodes, but [2] and [3] come from the instance data, which is scattered across the cluster.

Inference rules that involve more than one support from the abox cannot be parallelized as easily as say, RDFS, which never involves more than one assertional component.  More information on that here:

Mike