Re: [ontology-summit] Concept Map of Ontology Entities/Elements

To: henson graves <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'Venkata Ramayya' <ramayyam@xxxxxx>, Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bateman <bateman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 20:39:34 +0100
Am 07.03.2012 20:13, schrieb henson graves:
> I am not sure I
> buy that abstract to concrete is really a different axis than general to
> specific. Perhaps you could give your reasons for this.    (01)

How about:    (02)

general-to-specific: animate entity-animal-mammal-cow
abstract-to-concrete: religion-Fermat's theorem-this email    (03)

general-to-specific may co-describe entities (following
the isa-hierarchy: the set of entities included under
the denotation of the term gets bigger);    (04)

abstract-to-concrete describe (necessarily) different entities
(different branches; non-intersecting sets of referents).    (05)

[So this does not appear to fit with the dimensions
of verticality and horizontality suggested either...
so I don't know if a concept map would help too
much... :-)]    (06)

The two dimensions can be combined: a particular religion
is still an abstract entity, it is just a more specific
kind of abstract entity....    (07)

> Certainly ontologies used to represent a factory and
> the things it builds comes in multiple levels of generality - or
> abstractness if they are distinct.    (08)

a factory builds cars: the cars are not abstract, but
'cars' is a rather more general description
of what it produces than 'red corvettes'.
I don't see it as producing anything abstract though
(I mean, in relation to the cars, it might produce other things,
such as a feeling of wealth and security, which might
be abstract... )    (09)

John B.    (010)