Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Engineering for Systems Engineering

To: "'Ontology Summit 2012 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: henson graves <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:24:44 -0600
Dear John,
I strongly agree with both of your points: (1) nearly every large sytem is
unique and (2) for standards one needs to examine what works and harmonize
best practices.    (01)

While (1) is true one needs (formal) specifications to judge deviations
from. One of my current research projects is extending the kind of stuff you
see there to specifications for product lines as well as approximate
satisfaction of an individual system  against a specification.  Regarding
(2) I believe that there is sufficiently developed engineering usage in what
works and that it can be used to develop precise semantics for engineering
languages and formal ontologies that engineers can actually use. Further
this can be retrofitted with the languages that they use without any
necessity of their changing how they work. Engineering usage background is
well beyond the stone age as I am sure that you would agree.     (02)

- Henson    (03)