Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Engineering for Systems Engineering

To: "'Ontology Summit 2012 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: henson graves <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:04:17 -0600
Dear John,
As you say many steps and bridges are needed for formal methods to become
part of everyday engineering. As to what logic to use, it is certainly the
case that DLs are insufficient, including OWL for engineering purposes. This
applies to Steve Ray's list.  However DL constructions are an extremely good
way to express various necessary conditions for systems. I understand
Matthew's background with Express. My choice of logic, as you can see from a
diagram in the paper is type theory such as developed by Lambek and Scott.
This is a version of higher order logic in that it has terms which from a
full higher order logic. It can be expressed as a deduction system and as a
FOL theory with a rich type structure. I also developed and implemented a
type theory logic around the same time which was derived from Lawvere's FOL
axioms for a topos. It was called Algos. I have been able to embed large
parts of SysML into this version of type theory.
- Henson     (01)