[ontology-summit] [Applications] Some initial observations and needs

To: "'Ontology Summit 2012 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Steve Ray (CMU)" <steve.ray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:24:19 -0800
After thinking about last week's meeting, I collected some observations from
the presentations and some perceived needs. I share these in the hope of
provoking some reactions from you, either of agreement, disagreement,
elaboration or augmentation.    (01)

These have also been entered on the Track 4 (Applications) synthesis page as
well as on the Track 4 Community Input page, where I hope you will add your
thoughts.    (02)

I will continue to collect nuggets as I encounter them.    (03)

- Steve    (04)

----------------------------------------------    (05)

* Observations / Lessons learned:
** UML to OWL is a common requirement for legacy systems
*** Need better tools to help interpret legacy systems, transform into
semantic systems.
*** Starting from scratch is rare.     (06)

** Ontology patterns are very helpful, and encourage model reuse
** Look for the 80-20 rule of semantic development
** Semantic techniques work best when not compromised by implementation
tradeoffs
** Semantic methods are faster to implement and easier to maintain
** Semantic approaches particularly suited to systems with many complex
constraints, rules, laws, with frequent changes     (07)

* Needs:
** Need better standards for common elements:
*** Datatypes (Are xsd types enough? I think not)
*** Ontology patterns (e.g. whole/part patterns)
*** Collect ontological primitives from observation data     (08)

** Need repositories (When is OOR going to be ready for production use?)
*** Repositories of ontological patterns could be more useful than
repositories of ontologies     (09)

** Need industrial strength semantic services resident in the cloud
** Need better visualization tools and approaches     (010)

Steven R. Ray, Ph.D.
Distinguished Research Fellow
Carnegie Mellon University
NASA Research Park