Re: [ontology-summit] Summit Engineering Tracks

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Westerinen, Andrea R.'" <ANDREA.R.WESTERINEN@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'Matthew West' <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Cory Casanave <cory-c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 18:31:58 -0500

Thanks Bobbin,

I would also note that the inference requirements for federation are different from some other semantic applications.  I’m not suggesting there is another logic, but that the subset of applicable logic and the degree to which an inference engine may go to satisfy certain requirements are not the same.  Probably the biggest difference is the assumption of global consistency – a non-starter for federation.  I find some of the capabilities of OWL useful but it reminds me of using an “off label drug” – use at your own risk with expert advice.  With all of the research that has gone into ontologies I find very little that is specifically targeted at this problem (one reason we have been promoting the OMG-SIMF effort).

So one thing I would like to see in the federation thread is specifics on the specialized problems of and proposed solutions for federation.  I would also like to be able to report on the progress of the SIMF effort.  This could fit in either track 2 or 4.

-Cory