Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Summit process [was - Re: [Big Systems an

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "BEDFORD, DENISE A.D." <dbedfor3@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 12:19:46 -0500
All,    (01)

I'm following the discussions in background.  We have an initiative at Kent
that will focus on some of the issues you're raising, and I hope help to move
your agenda forward.  Specifically, we're launching an Institute for Knowledge
Sciences whose purpose will be to bring together business, technology vendors,
academia and the labor force to identify and tackle a wide range of challenges
related to the future knowledge society and knowledge economy.  Obviously
semantic technologies and knowledge organization structures are core.  The
critical success factor - we think - is creating an on-going dialog among four
stakeholders - business, technology vendors, academia and labor.      (02)

Business is a key driver, but this new world looks pretty unstable to them
right now.  From a business perspective the problems are very large investments
and the high risk associated with adoption, opportunity costs of not doing
something else that looks much more relevant, the fact that almost every
implementation is one-off, and the fact that it is very difficult to find
educated/trained staff to hire to support such operations.  Vendors
disappear/fail at a fairly high rate - so it doesn't look to business like this
is a stable market.  And, without a good market, vendors take a huge risk to
develop and promote new products.  There are few academic programs to train,
education and learn.  And, from our perspective, much of the research is
theoretical with a low uptake rate.  Many of the courses are either upper
division or grad level which further reduces the potential labor force.  And,
the curricula are not sufficiently well built out to address the full life
cycle or operationalization of semantic technologies.  And, these aren't even
on the radar of most labor force training concerns.      (03)

We're planning to first hold an open symposium on the issues in the Fall in
Washington.  The purpose of the symposium will be to foster a discussion among
four stakeholder groups - business, vendors, academics and labor.  We will be
asking their advice on how to structure, govern and operate the institute so
that it benefits all four and helps us to move a bit faster to the semantic
future.   I will share more about this - if you're interested - throughout the
spring.      (04)

We hope you will all join in the discussion as this community clearly
represents the top academics and vendors.      (05)

Best regards,
Denise     (06)