Re: [ontology-summit] Summit Engineering Tracks, function

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Ring <jring7@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 07:42:58 -0700
An alternative is to become semantically clear about the meaning(s) of
function, capability, role, purpose, objective, goal, etc., because each
signifies distinct concepts.
In recent years the distinctions between these have become quite blurred so
perhaps it would be better to sort them out rather than to delete one. The
deletion solution will never end. After function you will have to delete
another one until we are reduced to grunts.
The difference between what a system is designed to do and what it does do can
be clearly established if engineering stops ignoring [independent and objective
test and evaluation of the likelihood of system readiness].
This mini-issue clearly warns of the challenge ahead as precision-oriented
ontologists wade into the sinkhole of babble that has evolved around 'system.'
On Jan 21, 2012, at 4:22 AM, henson graves wrote:    (01)