Re: [ontology-summit] [Strategy] Disruptive Applications

To: "Ontology Summit 2011 discussion" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Professor James Davenport" <jhd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:36:34 -0000

On Fri, March 25, 2011 3:31 pm, John F. Sowa wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I was just looking at the following very nicely written report:
>
>     http://www.idef.com/pdf/Idef5.pdf
>     Information Integration for Concurrent Engineering
>
> It makes a very good case for ontology.  The sad part is the
> date of the report: 1994.
I really like the first sentence of 1.1:
We characterize the meaning of the term “ontology” to include a catalog of
terms used in a domain, the rules governing how those terms can be
combined to make valid statements about situations in that domain, and the
“sanctioned inferences” that can be made when such statements
are used in that domain.    (01)

James Davenport
Lecturer on XX10190 and CM30070
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor and Programme Chair, OpenMath 2009
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication
Engineering & Science Board, Council of the British Computer Society
Federal Council, International Foundation for Computational Logic    (02)