Re: [ontology-summit] An example of the worth of ontology development

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Arun <arun@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 13:22:12 -0500
I agree also, which I why I am looking at building the case from a
business valuation exercise - and I appreciate Jack's inputs there.    (01)

On 3/1/11 12:48 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> Jack,
>
> I very strongly agree with that point:
>
>> To my earlier point, until a prospect values purpose and usage it is
>> largely futile to gain their awareness, appreciation and acceptance of
>> ontology development or adoption of a pre-canned ontology. In fact, if
>> they say they want an ontology it is likely that they are 'silver
>> bullet' or "latest fad" connoisseurs and will not become successful
>> customers.
> I believe that the ontology field is still in a very early stage
> of development.  Jack's examples (and others that crop up from
> time to time) show that good methodologies can achieve an order
> of magnitude improvement over what is commonly done today.
>
> That indicates the current tools and methodologies are not likely
> to survive the next paradigm shift -- which I expect to arrive
> sometime in this decade.
>
> Therefore, we should devote more time to "disruptive technologies"
> than to incremental improvements in current tools and techniques.
>
> John

WARNING: THIS EMAIL IS COVERED BY THE ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS PRIVACY ACT, 18
U.S.C. § 2510-2521 AND IS LEGALLY PRIVILEGED.  THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN
THIS MESSAGE AND THE ATTACHMENT, IF ANY, IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER
APPLICABLE LAW.    (03)