Re: [ontology-summit] Invitation to a brainstorming call for the 2011 On

To: "'Ontology Summit 2011 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Steve Ray" <steve.r.ray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 20:08:11 -0800

Jack,

            I think your comments are very much in line with the dimensions we are laying out. I’ not sure how we would quantify return on equity, but I believe we are all pushing in the same direction. I have sprinkled your ideas into the conference call wiki page whereever they don’t appear to be covered already.

            I’m still chewing on your non-von Neumann platform suggestion. Since, as you say, we are targeting decision makers such as CEOs or CTOs, I wondering how they will receive such an idea. Having said that, if you have an example where such an approach was taken, and it was shown to be successful, that would be great to hear about.

Again, we’re trying to document some actual cases in terms of value propositions, etc. While we will have to talk a bit about HOW we go about documenting them (what value propositions, what metrics, etc.) the objective of the summit is to end up with a handful of well-documented cases that we can all point to when making the case for ontologies in the future.

Thanks for participating.

-       Steve

Steven R. Ray, Ph.D.

Distinguished Research Fellow