Re: [ontology-summit] URIs for quantities, units and scales

To: Ontology Summit 2009 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:12:43 -0400
Peter,    (01)

Everybody from Linnaeus (1707 to 1778) to the present would agree
with that point:    (02)

PFB> By using the same identifier for some thing, whatever different
 > parties might call it ("avocat" (uid:12345) is the same as
 > "avocado" (uid:12345), is surely a step forward from having to
 > do painful inferencing such as "when I use the term 'avocat'
 > in the context of some French text and discussion about fruit...    (03)

I also agree that having information freely available on the WWW
is extremely important.  But there are international organizations
that have been establishing unique identifiers for decades or even
centuries:  units of measure, plant and animal species, chemical
elements, chemical compounds, etc.    (04)

I agree that H and O are extremely ambiguous, except in the context
of chemical elements.  Therefore, I would prefix those letters
with the identifier for the organization that established that
standard.    (05)

If I need a unique identifier, my first choice would be one that
had been firmly established by international agreements, not a
pointer to a web site that somebody could change at any moment.    (06)