Re: [ontology-summit] URIs for quantities, units and scales

To: "'Ontology Summit 2009'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Benson" <Peter.Benson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 09:16:54 -0400
That is precisely what the ECCMA open Technical Dictionary (eOTD) does. It
provides a central open registry of concepts and their terminology. It also
assigns a public domain identifier. The management of the eOTD is specified
in ISO 22745. Consensus organizations can add new concepts or request that
terms, definitions or images are linked to existing concepts; this requires
the permission of the consensus organization that first registered the
concept. Users can request that concepts be linked (mapped) and again this
is done with the consent of the organizations that registered the concepts.
The eOTD is freely available and currently includes over 400,000 defined
concepts from a wide range of sources in a dozen languages. ISO 22745 now
includes a specification of a web services interface and this is being
implemented as is a log of the search and resolution of concept identifiers
as well as the terms definitions and images. Usage statistics are used to
rank concepts and terminology.
The eOTD concept identifiers are used as metadata to create unambiguously
language independent content.
The foundation of the eOTD is the NATO Codification System but it also
includes the dictionaries provided by ASTM, ASME, ISO and IEC. We only go
looking for terminology at the request of users. The eOTD is widely used
today in many industries. Almost forgot, the eOTD includes units of measure
and currencies, basically all concepts needed to describe individuals,
organizations, locations, goods, services, assets, processes, rules and
regulations.    (01)

Peter Benson    (02)