Re: [ontology-summit] goodmorning and a word

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rex Brooks <rexb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 06:04:08 -0700
Welcome Paola,    (01)

I listened in remotely yesterday, and did not attempt to join in the
discussions, largely because I have two presentations to polish for
tomorrow and Thursday in different venues. So, on a purely personal
basis I wish that Interoperability Week didn't fall in the same week
as the OASIS Symposium and the 5th SOA for E-Government Conference,
but aside from that, I have a couple of observations to make.    (02)

1. This is only the third Ontology Summit, and there is certainly
room for improvement, but it is still remarkable that it has become
something of an annual event. I hope it can continue to serve the
community and I think that developing a Open Ontology Repository with
a federated, distributed architecture and that strikes a good balance
between the everpresent  poles of anarchy at one extreme and
autocracy or oligarchy on the other is the goal. I think autocracy is
highly unlikely but oligarchy, though also unlikely, is possible. I
think that a meritocracy is what the majority of us would like,
though even that form of governance has its drawbacks.    (03)

But, that's the point. Whatever we collectively decide to do is going
to have its pros and cons, and our main task is to achieve the best
consensus we can manage between the poles of complete restriction and
complete freedom.    (04)

2. This particular event is only the culmination of an ongoing
process that has been underway for a little more than two months, and
needs to be seen as that, so the apparent lack of allowance for more
thorough participation in this event needs to be understood in full
context. That doesn't mean that there isn't a need for evolving a
more inclusive process, or adding such processes.    (05)

I think the key to our success in advancing the adoption and further
refinement of ontological thought, tools and of ontologies in
pragmatic use lies in developing the Open Ontology Repository.    (06)

Cheers,
Rex    (07)

Rex Brooks
President, CEO