[ontology-summit] metadata

To: "Ontology Summit 2008" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:54:25 +0700
Michael    (01)

I wanted to ask a question at the end of your session yesterday but
there was no time
Obviously metadata is an important part of what we are discussing    (02)

A guy in the morning (what was his name?) mentioned something about
metadata sets being copyrighted therefore possibly threatened the
entire open repository concept: if a set of open metadata is
associated with an ontology repository, say, and some corporation can
patent it - That would suck, but maybe I did not get that right
t I would like to know and understand more about these instances that
this guy has come across    (03)

I woud like this issue to be explored and clarified so that we know
exactly what is the legal position in terms of copyright protection
and IP law, of metdata sets that are published in the public domain    (04)

can they really made proprietary by some third party?  please include
this question in the record for the session
thanks    (05)

--
Paola Di Maio
School of IT