Re: [ontology-summit] metadata

To: "'Ontology Summit 2008'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Benson" <Peter.Benson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:29:17 -0400
Hi Michael, I believe the guy you be looking for is moi and yes proprietary
metadata is a real problem but it can be easily managed with a little bit of
awareness very much like when you cross the road it pays to look left and
right.    (01)

Increasingly metadata is a reference to a metadata repository that contains
the definitions that provide the meaning of the metadata. To be an effective
reference the metadata is built to be unique and to reference a specific
repository - this makes the metadata an identifier and identifiers are
copyright hence the problem. There are examples (as opposed to urban
legends) where owners have enforced their copyright and stopped what they
was a misuse (competing or unflattering use) of the identifier.     (02)

The answer to the problem is very simple and it comes down to knowing where
the metadata you are using is coming from and if it is proprietary ensuring
that you have the appropriate license. We have been working with the
international standards community to surface this issue by at least ensuring
that proprietary metadata is clearly labeled.    (03)

Part of what we do is to collect (harvest) terms, definitions and images
which we manage in a dictionary called the ECCMA Open Technical Dictionary
(eOTD) under ISO 22745 a new standard for open technical dictionaries. Each
"concept" in the dictionary is assigned a concept identifier that we have
put in the public domain to ensure the integrity of the data with which it
is associated as metadata. We do know that Lehigh University in their work
on using ontologies to cross reference taxonomies used by the DoD is using
the eOTD concept identifiers to assure the integrity of the ontologies they
are building.
I hope this helps    (04)

Regards,    (05)

Peter Benson
Executive Director and Chief Technical Officer
Electronic Commerce Code Management Association (ECCMA)
peter.benson@xxxxxxxxx    (06)

P: +1 610 861 5990
F: +1 610 861 5992
Mobile: +1 610 462 5923
 "Accurate descriptions start with ISO 8000-100 quality master data"    (07)