Re: [ontology-summit] [Summit-Focus] The 'Open' in 'Open Ontology Reposi

To: "Ontology Summit 2008" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Sharma, Ravi" <Ravi.Sharma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:02:02 -0700

Peter    (01)

I looked at the links and liked the combination of my and your
suggestions.    (02)

The Opensource.org link [1] is most relevant.
The Creative Commons link [2] is relevant except for restriction that
products of commercial nature can not be built upon open license
products that would limit the field of work only to nonprofits? For
example I can buy Linux and develop a commercial product on it.
Therefore the restriction  of noncommercial only will be a limiting
factor.
The OASIS [3] is an open standards developer organization(SDO), but the
link does not allude to openness definition it only talks about open
tech committee meetings etc.    (03)

Summarizing, without spending too much time on definitions, let us adopt
your suggested combinations and proceed, comments from everyone are
welcome but we need deadlines to close these preliminaries.    (04)

Similarly, for example there is no need to use the distributed or
federated aspects of open architectures if one can do what one needs
within one organization, and within one instance, but why restrict the
architecture from being open and connectable to other repositories.    (05)

Thanks.    (06)

Ravi    (07)

(Dr. Ravi Sharma) Senior Enterprise Architect    (08)

Vangent, Inc. Technology Excellence Center (TEC)    (09)

8618 Westwood Center Drive, Suite 310, Vienna VA 22182
(o) 703-827-0638, (c) 313-204-1740 www.vangent.com
P.S. As always all such views as these are my own professional opinions,
not necessarily supported or denied by any associated organization. What
is more as I learn more and more technologies and knowledge is
assimilated by me, I am also entitled to change my previously stated
positions, and for that reason learning is most welcome activity.    (010)