Re: [ontology-summit] [Summit-Focus] The 'Open' in 'Open OntologyReposit

To: <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:29:03 -0000
Dear Ravi,    (01)

> Peter
>
> I looked at the links and liked the combination of my and your
> suggestions.
>
> The Opensource.org link [1] is most relevant.
> The Creative Commons link [2] is relevant except for restriction that
> products of commercial nature can not be built upon open license
> products that would limit the field of work only to nonprofits? For
> example I can buy Linux and develop a commercial product on it.
> Therefore the restriction  of noncommercial only will be a limiting
> factor.
> The OASIS [3] is an open standards developer
> organization(SDO), but the
> link does not allude to openness definition it only talks about open
> tech committee meetings etc.
>
> Summarizing, without spending too much time on definitions,
> let us adopt
> your suggested combinations and proceed, comments from everyone are
> welcome but we need deadlines to close these preliminaries.
>
> Similarly, for example there is no need to use the distributed or
> federated aspects of open architectures if one can do what one needs
> within one organization, and within one instance, but why restrict the
> architecture from being open and connectable to other repositories.    (02)

MW: Now this I agree with. Being open to connection is a quite different
matter from insisting that different ontologies are actually using a
different repository.    (03)

Regards    (04)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Registered in England and Wales
Registered number: 621148
Registered office: Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (05)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (06)