[ontology-summit] [Ont-of-Ont] who has been working on an ontology of on

To: "Ontology Summit 2008" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:42:14 -0800
I was hoping that through the discourse here, we could come up with an
ontology of ontologies, based upon which we could support registry
services and do other magic with ontologies (taxonomies, controlled
vocabularies, etc.) that our subject Open Ontology Repositories will
be storing.    (01)

I was looking forward to see how that effort could align with what has
transpired from the OntologySummit2007 Framework - ref.:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2007_Communique &
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2007_FrameworksForConsideration    (02)

... namely, characterizing ontologies via their:    (03)

* Semantic Dimensions:    (04)

** Degree of Structure and Formality
** Expressiveness of the Knowledge Representation Language
** Representational granularity    (05)

* Pragmatic Dimensions:    (06)

** Intended Use
** Role of Automated Reasoning
** Descriptive vs. Prescriptive
** Design Methodology
** Governance    (07)

Tania Tudorache was kind enough to point out that, as part of the NeON
project, the OntoWare group (http://ontoware.org/ont/overview.php) has
developed a metadata ontology, which is a proposal for a metadata
standard, called Ontology Metadata Vocabulary, OMV. A few e-mails
later, we have some of the OMV folks on this forum too. ... Thanks,
Tania, and, welcome to Pater Hasse, Raul Palma & Jens Hartmann from
the OMV team.  Please tell us more about that work.    (08)

Also, could folks tell us more if you are working on (or know about)
similar efforts.    (09)

Thanks & regards.  =ppy
--    (010)