Re: [ontology-summit] [Ont-of-Ont] who has been working on an ontologyof

To: <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:29:03 -0000
Dear Peter,    (01)

Again, if something was happening here then I have missed it.

> I was hoping that through the discourse here, we could come up with an
> ontology of ontologies, based upon which we could support registry
> services and do other magic with ontologies (taxonomies, controlled
> vocabularies, etc.) that our subject Open Ontology Repositories will
> be storing.    (02)

MW: From the above it seems that what you are looking for is a storage
model for ontologies, i.e. a data model.    (03)

MW: There are a few things I have been working on here that may (or may
not) be helpful from the standards world.    (04)

MW: Firstly, part of ISO 15926-2 is a meta-model for extending the
ontology in the rest of the data model using reference data. The
expressivity of this falls somewhere between DL and FOL. We are currently
looking at a new edition of ISO 15926-2, and one of the things that this
has resulted in is separating the different schemas so that the meta-model
can be seen in isolation. We are also considering how to extend the
capability to full FOL equivalence, but have not completed this yet.    (05)

MW: The second piece of work I have been involved in is with regard to
ISO 8000 - Data Quality. Here I have recently been developing a data
model for Master Data Provenance (an ontology held in a repository will
in effect be master data). This might be helpful to support some of the
management of ontologies in a repository.    (06)

MW: Let me know if you would like me to make these available.

> I was looking forward to see how that effort could align with what has
> transpired from the OntologySummit2007 Framework - ref.:
> http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2007_Com
> munique &
> http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2007_Fra
meworksForConsideration

> ... namely, characterizing ontologies via their:
>
> * Semantic Dimensions:
>
> ** Degree of Structure and Formality
> ** Expressiveness of the Knowledge Representation Language
> ** Representational granularity
>
> * Pragmatic Dimensions:
>
> ** Intended Use
> ** Role of Automated Reasoning
> ** Descriptive vs. Prescriptive
> ** Design Methodology
> ** Governance    (07)

MW: I would not expect to see much of these reflected in meta-models.

> Tania Tudorache was kind enough to point out that, as part of the NeON
> project, the OntoWare group (http://ontoware.org/ont/overview.php) has
> developed a metadata ontology, which is a proposal for a metadata
> standard, called Ontology Metadata Vocabulary, OMV. A few e-mails
> later, we have some of the OMV folks on this forum too. ... Thanks,
> Tania, and, welcome to Pater Hasse, Raul Palma & Jens Hartmann from
> the OMV team.  Please tell us more about that work.    (08)

MW: That looks interesting, similar to the provenance work
I have been involved in.

> Also, could folks tell us more if you are working on (or know about)
> similar efforts.    (09)

MW: See above.    (010)

Regards    (011)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Registered in England and Wales
Registered number: 621148
Registered office: Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (012)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (013)