Re: [ontology-summit] [Repository-Arch] Mixing Functional Requirementswi

To: <carlmattocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:25:51 -0000
Dear Carl,    (01)

> <quote who="matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx">
> > Dear Carl,
> >

> >> IMHO The federated approach assumes that no one wants to be
> >> limited to a
> >> single centralized OOR. The 'root' is the foundation for
> >> organization of
> >> content within one instance of an OOR .. it does not impose a
> >> limitation
> >> on the universe of things.
> >
> > MW: What is the limitation of single centralized OOR? It would
> > only impose a limitation on the universe of things if that was
> > part of its design, and this could also be managed with a
> > federated system if is was designed to achieve that.
>
> CM: Agreed
>

> > MW: A federated system only introduces unnecessary complication.
> > If you split somethign up, you have to work out how to put it
> > back together again. A federated approach should only be considered
> > when things are already divided, and the question is whether it
> > is cheaper to integrate by federating the existing systems, or to
> > redevelop the systems as one.
>
> CM: Methinks it is the nature of the multi-ontology beast. I
> expect that
> each ontology will be stewarded by the members of a particular
> community... who will retain the right to publish it in an
> OOR of their
> choice... with the expectation that the underlying architecture will
> support a joining (aka federation) with another OOR aka federation.    (02)

MW: No. You are talking about different people managing different content.
That is fine. It happens all the time in centralized systems. You just
have to provide the facilities for that within one system. It is not
essential for each group to have their own system (and the expense of
running their own system, and the expense of integrating that with
other peoples).

> > MW: OK. That might be a bit strong, but a situation would have to
> > be pretty hopeless before I would advocate a federated system.
>
> CM: Would you support federation as an option ?    (03)

MW: I accept that federation is an option, just a very bad one, and
that mostly because it is more expensive, and I would have thought
we would be cost conscious in this environment.    (04)

Regards    (05)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Registered in England and Wales
Registered number: 621148
Registered office: Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (06)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (07)