Re: [ontology-summit] [Repository-Arch] Mixing Functional Requirementswi

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Carl Mattocks" <carlmattocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:04:07 -0500 (EST)

<quote who="matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx">
> Dear Carl,
>

>> IMHO The federated approach assumes that no one wants to be
>> limited to a
>> single centralized OOR. The 'root' is the foundation for
>> organization of
>> content within one instance of an OOR .. it does not impose a
>> limitation
>> on the universe of things.
>
> MW: What is the limitation of single centralized OOR? It would
> only impose a limitation on the universe of things if that was
> part of its design, and this could also be managed with a
> federated system if is was designed to achieve that.    (01)

CM: Agreed    (02)

> MW: A federated system only introduces unnecessary complication.
> If you split somethign up, you have to work out how to put it
> back together again. A federated approach should only be considered
> when things are already divided, and the question is whether it
> is cheaper to integrate by federating the existing systems, or to
> redevelop the systems as one.    (03)

CM: Methinks it is the nature of the multi-ontology beast. I expect that
each ontology will be stewarded by the members of a particular
community... who will retain the right to publish it in an OOR of their
choice... with the expectation that the underlying architecture will
support a joining (aka federation) with another OOR aka federation.    (04)

> MW: OK. That might be a bit strong, but a situation would have to
> be pretty hopeless before I would advocate a federated system.    (05)

CM: Would you support federation as an option ?    (06)

--
Carl Mattocks
Chair OASIS Business Centric Methodology TC