Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Framework Draft Statement for the Ontolog

To: "'Ontology Summit 2007 Forum'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:55:22 +0100

Mike quotes 10D1 in his email:

3. In the context of computer and information sciences, an ontology is a specification of a conceptualization. That is, it specifies the concepts, ideas, relations, abstractions, and so forth in an objective form. The intent is to clarify the meaning, enabling shared understanding. This is the conventional sense of specification in computer science, analogous to the terms requirements specification, database specification, and program specification. In the context of knowledge representation in particular, an ontology specifies the conceptual primitives for representing a domain, in the same way that a database schema specifies the relations used in a database, and a programming language provides the primitives used in an implemented algorithm.    (10D1)

I think it would be helpful if someone explained what “conceptual primitives” were.

Are these the same thing a logical primitives in an axiomatisation?

Are the psychological primitives?

Neither of the above seems satisfactory.

There is a notion of fundamental ontological categories in philosophy – is this what is meant?

Regards,

Chris