Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Framework Draft Statement fortheOntology

To: "'Ontology Summit 2007 Forum'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:48:15 +0100

Mike,

In your slide show you say these are similarities:

“Similarities:

·         Both use natural language as a source of knowledge to reveal the objects and relationships of interest.

·         Both use formal logic as a key analytical tool.”

As far as I am aware

1.    While philosophical ontologists tend to recognise natural language as a useful resource, they spend quite a lot of time showing how unreliable a guide it is. Some going as far as to say natural language has been a source of serious error.

2.    Philosophical ontologists now regard logic and ontology as different disciplines – where ontology deals with being and logic with inference. I have asked quite a few philosophers for some explanation of the link between the two – but it does not seem to be something they investigate. As an historical aside, at the beginning of the 20th century, there was a much closer connection. BTW I accept that some philosophical ontologists see logic as a useful analytic tool

So it seems to me these are not as clear cut or strong similarities as you suggest.

I also note that the original framework document seems to be relatively neutral about the role of natural language and logic (rightly in my view).

Regards,

Chris