Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Framework Draft Statement for theOntology

To: "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:58:44 +0200
Somehow there is a funny side to this thread, self explanatory about
the 'state of the art' of ontology.    (01)

Amazingly, I follow the discussions among the authors/gurus whose work
has introduced me to this domain, namely Tom, John  Azamat and many
others and I find myself in both disagreement and agreement with much
of what is being said.
Reality is paradodixal    (02)

I see the problem that we are having  as follows    (03)

- ontology, like the reality that ontology models and represents, is
not just one thing, altough it can be just one thing if that's what
you need or want to talk about. So possibly all of the proposed
interpretations/angles are true and acceptable, it's just a matter of
chosing/defining the scope what definition we are referring to in any
given part of our discourse, and provide some grounding/rationale for
that choice so that we can be understood by others. We will never come
up with one single exhaustive definition, and if we do, that is not
likely to last for long or be pefect always  for all instances.    (04)

- 'Putting to rest' a definition may sound like we are killing it, but
letting it evolve and grow into different directions means that we are
building on it,  I am sure that there are situations where
'specification of conceptualization' is still a suitable definition (I
use it often), and situations where the reality that we are observing
has outgrown the definition which needs to be expanded (I use other
definitions and even make up my own ones when something new comes up)
and if necessary changed altogether.    (05)

 nothing is ever created nor destroyed, everything is always transformed    (06)

- Our real problem is the process. A 'statement was issued before the
discussions were opened up and confrontation among different views and
opinions were made public. it's great that we all have the opportunty
to chip in, but this is now sounding like Tom and the others issued
the 'official' view, and now the others have to argue to have these
views changed.  This is likely to cause conflict The fact is that we
all have different perspectives, and this exercise is unprecedented
We should make the process more inclusive at start, then each of us
can ponder on the different views propose, and adopt/follow the most
suitable constructs as they see fit, depending on what exercise is
being undertaken    (07)

- the wiki may be an answer. Let's post on the wiki all the questions
and considerations that have led to such a statement to be formulated
in such a way (I am sure the original authors have some reasons why
they have come up with this), with the initital statement presented
simply as one possible view. But there should be equal room for all
other views, for us to define  the 'reality of ontology today'
Only a comprehensive resulting statement  includng all possible/valid
views (views that are true) can satisfy our collective requirement,
and where necessary
conflict can be acknowledged. I dont see anything wrong with that    (08)

Fnally, it looks to me like the Summit should be aimed to discuss all
of the above
including a methodology to achieve 'inclusive' viewpoint    (09)

personally, I acknolwledge reality for what is (other points of view
simply exist, provided they are correct I must accept them) and that
each of us should be able to adopttheir preferred definition   without
causing grief to others
without assuming that their choice is the best or the only correct
one, provided  choices/assumptions are declared    (010)

Paola Di Maio
(Peter I ll send you my slides asap)    (011)

-    (012)

Paola Di Maio
School of IT, MFU.ac.th