Re: [ontology-summit] Lattice and context

To: "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cory-c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:04:25 -0500
John,
(Probably off topic)    (01)

I am a fan of the lattice, not sure it is the subject of this thread,
but a fan anyway.    (02)

And, you can certainly plug any bunch of statements into a node of the
lattice and call it a theory.  What I am wondering about is the most
effective organization of the lattice.  I have a theory about that
(which you probably have a paper on from 1988) - that theory is that a
node in the lattice should contain all of the facts that have identical
context (apply to the same kinds of situations and situations).  This
organizing principle for the lattice would serve to organize the
knowledge, provide for provenance and contextualization, as well as
provide the hook for second order statements - in that they could then
talk explicitly about context by including sets of nodes in the lattice
into other nodes.  This should work even in simple logics, like OWL.    (03)

Does this fit with your lattice?  Or, do you have an organizing
principle for the lattice?    (04)

-Cory    (05)