[ontology-summit] Defining "ontology"

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:53:40 -0500
Greetings,    (01)

I am concerned with the suggestions that it is possible to create a
continuum along which to organize what are known as "ontologies" in one
or more circles.    (02)

At least unless we are willing to concede that the creation of such a
continuum is itself an imposition of assumptions from an undisclosed
ontology.    (03)

I am sure there are those who would say that folksonomies are "missing"
features that are present in "formal" ontologies. Perhaps, but
folksonomies predate "formal" ontologies by several millenia and have
proven robust enough for many purposes. If the goal is to represent the
opinions of the many rather than the few, perhaps it is "formal"
ontologies that "missing" features.    (04)

I am not taking a position one way or the other. But, I do think it is
important to realize that any attempt to construct a continuum is with
an unstated choice of a winner before the the continuum is populated.    (05)

Hope everyone is looking forward to a great weekend!    (06)

Patrick    (07)

--
Patrick Durusau
Patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx

Topic Maps: Human, not artificial, intelligence at work!     (09)